President Chong gave the following report to the Board of Trustees at their Sept. 13, 2016 meeting:
- He gave the Keynote address at PDA Day, entitled "Envisioning the Future: The Next Hundred Years," and thanked Director, Institutional Research KC Greaney for the data she provided on target communities.
- He said that it's important to work collaboratively on outreach to potential students.
- The 2030 Plan is moving forward, thanks to the members of the 2030 Plan Steering Committee, including Academic Senate President Eric Thompson, Director, Capital Projects Leigh Sata and Vice President, Petaluma Jane Saldana-Talley.
- Housing is an important topic right now, when so many individuals are having trouble finding affordable places to live. Director, Student Affairs Robert Ethington has been working with Catholic Charities on behalf of SRJC to get support services to students who are at risk of being homeless, or who are currently homeless. Dr. Chong has met with developers about possibly partnering to build residence halls, though this is still at the discussion stage.
- He said that SRJC is taking a diversified approach to the budget this year, including looking at other revenue areas, including "going green to save green."
- He participated in a meeting on America’s College Promise on Aug. 30 and is exploring the Sonoma Promise concept in Sonoma County, in the hopes of making K-14 a seamless program. Executive Director, Foundation Kate McClintock will be chairing SRJC Promise committee, which will also include representatives from Scholarships, Financial Aid, Academic Affairs, Student Services, Finance, students and faculty.