President Chong gave the following report to the Board of Trustees at their June 14, 2016 meeting:
- SRJC held its 97th Commencement, where over 2,200 degrees were granted to over 1,600 students, largest in the history of the college and 10% higher than the previous year. The Commencement speaker was SRJC alumnus Dr. Douglas Hofmann, the Principal Investigator of the Materials Development and Manufacturing Technology Group at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
- The first annual CTE Celebration was held with about 400 students participating. He thankd to Dean, CTE Jerry Miller and his staff.
- He attended the Police, Fire and Dental Tech Graduations
- SRJC hosted the third annual Latino/a Graduation Reception to honor Latino/a students for reaching their academic goals and to promote a college education.
- The Foundation hosted the annual President's Address, where Dr. Agrella was awarded the President's Medallion. This event also launched the 100th Anniversary Celebration, which was kicked off by five gifts of $100,000 gifts. He thanked Executive Director, Foundation Kate McClintock and her staff.
- The Petaluma Campus hosted the Building Community Breakfast, featuring Marcus Benedetti, CEO of Clover Stornetta, student and faculty speakers and Vice President Jane Saldana Talley, who gave the State of Petaluma address. He gave special thanks to Vicki and Curt Groninga for their generous $20,000 donation.
- He thanked the Custodial, Grounds and Media staff for providing support to the many large spring events.
- The SRJC Farm Stand opened on May 5th at the corner of Mendocino Avenue and Carr Avenue. Community members can now enjoy “Shone Grown” products – vegetables, fruit, olive oil and grass-fed beef, as well as plants from the horticulture department.
- He announced that Marty Lee, Interim Vice President of Student Services will be filling in for Vice President, Student Services Ricardo Navarrette, who is retiring after 30 years. Dr. Chong thanked him for his years of dedication to SRJC.